Sunday, November 05, 2006

Midnight musings

Have you ever stayed up late in the night wondering what it is that is keeping you awake? Tonight is one of those nights for me. Dinner was fine, the weather is alright, I am reasonably tired and yet I simply cannot fall asleep.

I would have started counting the sheep already had it not been for the deep mistrust I have in that method. The last time I tried it was in my engineering college hostel. The power was out as usual and I was sleeping in a pool of my own sweat. Everytime I reached twenty or thereabouts my attention was drawn by the urgent hummings of the many mosquitoes that kept me company and I had to start all over again.

I have to admit, there's something in the tone of those nasty little things that makes people sit up and take notice. It might be the pitch of their voice or the lilt in their tune, of that I'm not sure. What I'm sure of though is that there could be few things in this world more annoying than a conversation with a mosquito. For one, they get so close to you that you could almost smell their breath. If they were hovering around your nose instead of your ear that is. Secondly, they seem to do all the talking. And its not easy convincing them to find somebody else to share their secrets with either. Almost as difficult as convincing a life insurance peddler to try your neighbour instead of you.
The most effective solutions for the situation known to me are:
1. Ignore them. But then it usually only encourages them. Worth a try though.
2. Give a firm indication of your lack of interest by placing your palms around your ears.
3. Start screaming loudly to drown their voice and hope that they get the hint.
4. Stage a walk-out.

Now that I've helped you out with this, can you help me out with my original problem? Maybe you'd like to sleep on that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home