Saturday, November 04, 2006

Whats in a name?

I learnt something new today when I created my first blog. Writing a blog is not half as difficult as naming it. With a zillion users already online, its not all that easy to get a unique url if one does not resort to ridiculous stuff like rags1830BC. Obviously Shakespeare didnt realize the magnitude of the problem when he made that irresponsible and callous remark. So what if he doesnt care what a rose is called, the internet does! Just goes to show that all generalizations are absolutely evil.

Now i totally understand the need for those long and horrendously complex identification codes used to identify me in my passport, tax card and other official papers. Imagine having to give unique names to people. Even though Hinduism in its great wisdom has given us a few crore Gods and hence as many names, it has not quite foreseen the current situation of a billion people. Ofcourse suffixing your name with the year of birth would take care of it for a few years, but surely we'll be making more than a billion people a year by 2020. The crisis at the birth certificate registrar would then be greater than at the hospital.

Coming back to my problem, I was at my wits' end trying to give my blog a name that I could understand. Almost every word, term, phenomenon, condition known to me has already occured to some other blogger as he tried to set up his little junkyard on the internet. The clever ones have picked up the Greek, German, Italian and Latin translations. I admit I didnt try Turkish and Arabic though I suspect that it might not have been vastly different there.

So you can understand my elation when at long last I found it. I could not quite come to grips with the fact that I actually had something totally unique on the internet. It was a special moment. And whats more, that url is going to be mine for eternity. Or atleast until this dotcom bubble bursts.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home